Theatres: Stand-Up Comedy
[See also Ch. 1: Improvisation Theatre]
The entire Seattle Comedy Scene in one Neat Little Website.
Seattle Improv theaters and groups including class listings.
The Rendezvous Jewelbox Theater
2322 2nd Ave
Seattle, WA 98121
Contact: [email protected]
Initially opened as a Speakeasy in 1926, The Rendezvous offers nightly entertainment of live music, comedy, film, theatre, burlesque and more! Restored to its original condition, the Jewelbox Theater has a professional standard PA, stage lighting system, and performance stage. Email for availability and pricing information. Stand-up comedy and storytelling at the Rendezvous include:
- Naked Brunch!– Seattle’s only all-improvised comedy open mic every Saturday at The Rendezvous! Co-produced by Alyssa Yeoman and Matthew Valdespino. Doors at 3:30pm; Show at 4:00pm.
- The Magic Hat presented by Emmett Montgomery and Friends–The Magic Hat is a friendship machine that will make the world a better place. Performers include storytellers, stand up comics, sketch performers, characters and more. There are also five 5 minute lottery spots to create unexpected wonderfulness.
- The Comedy Nest–The Comedy Nest is an inclusive weekly comedy open mic on Tuesdays with a focus on encouraging female and female-friendly comedians. Half of our open mic spots will be reserved for self-identifying women. The night closes out with a featured comic doing a longer set. Signup with three minutes of material the Sunday before the Tuesday show at [email protected].
- Wicked Awesome Wednesday Showcase–Features 6 or more of Seattle’s best up and coming comedians.
- KARAJOKEY!–A comedy/karaoke show that brings a handful of some of the best comics in town onstage, but they won’t know until they spin the wheel of misfortune whether they will be performing a comedy set or singing a mystery karaoke tune. Plus, pre-booked comedy sets with special guests and following the show is an hour of open karaoke. Co-hosted by Moth StorySlam Seattle production team, Comedy Womb founder, Danielle K.L. Gregoire and Wine Shots: Comedy’s Happiest Hour co-founder, comedian Elicia Sanchez.
- Turbo Turkey– An evening of long form improv, short form improv games and some sketch comedy.
(See Theatre Production Guide: Road-Houses)
Seattle International Comedy Competition
c/o Comedy Underground
109 S Washington St
Seattle, WA 98104
Contact: Peter Greyy, Director of Talent
From its start in 1979, the Seattle International Comedy Competition has grown to become America’s biggest touring comedy competition. The competition selects 32 comedians from around the world to compete in Western Washington for cash and prizes. The SICC is heavily scouted by television and movie talent executives, managers, agents, bookers, and producers.
South Puget Sound
Tacoma Comedy Club
933 Market St
Tacoma, WA 98402
Contact: Renee Fandt
Besides bringing The Spokane Comedy Club brings A-List comedy acts to Tacoma, TCC offers two nights a week for developing comics.
- New Talent Tuesdays. Show time is 8 PM and set length is between 3-6 minutes.
- Open Mic on Wednesdays. Show time is 8 PM and set length is 4 minutes.
To sign-up for Open Mic or New Talent Tuesdays, email [email protected] each month between the 20th-25th with your availabilities for the following month. Selected comics will be e-mailed between the 26th-28th. If you are not pre-selected, there are several open spots that you can put your name in the hat for at 7 PM, these spots will be drawn right before the show starts at 8 PM.
Valley Center Stage
PO Box 1123
North Bend, WA 98045
Contact: Gary Schwartz, Executive Director. Valley Center stage produces 3 full-length productions (musicals and plays) and several special events (variety, stand-up comedy and improv) each season. To audition, email headshot and resume. Auditions are announced on the the Valley Center Stage email list, the TPS website and the Performers Callboard list-serv. Rehearsals are held 2 to 3 evenings per week with some weekend commitments. Performance schedules vary. Actors are not paid. (See Ch.1 Theatres: Community Theatre, Musical Theatre, Improvisation Theatre. See Also Theatre Production Guide: Road Houses)
Spokane Comedy Club
315 W. Sprague
Spokane WA 99201
Contact: Todd Armstrong
The Spokane Comedy Club brings A-List comedy acts to Spokane. Every Wednesday night at SCC is open mic night. If you are interested in performing, please show up between 7 and 7:45 PM to sign-up. Spots are between 3-5 minutes. Show starts at 8 PM.
The Brody Theater
16 NW Broadway
Portland, OR 97209
Tom Johnson, Artistic Director. The Brody Theater
produces improvised and stand-up comedy theater and offers stand-up and improv classes. Auditions are announced on the website.